Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It Takes Time


Sometimes I take a picture and when I get home and put it up on my computer screen it just isn't what I am looking for. So sometimes I forget about them and stumble across them later. That is not what happened here. I know myself well enough that I know I change my mind so I take an image and make it my background image or throw it in a folder that I have set as my screen saver then over time the image grows on me or I see something in it I didn't see before. And that is what happened here. I can't take all the credit for coming up with this idea I actually saw it in a documentary about a photographer whose name escapes me right now. She would print her pictures and then hang them all over her apartment and see which ones she grew to like and which ones had to go.


I took these pictures almost a year ago on a trip to Oregon.  We were staying at a B&B in the Willamette Valley and this was the view from our room. Initially I didn't care for the images very much in color or black & white. The image with the fog burning off in the valley just comes up on my screen and I see something in it I hadn't seen before. I think I can do something with that. Then while browsing for that image I see this image with rows and rows of grape vines and the sticks they are tied to. I think this could work as a more abstract contrasty Ansel Adams inspired image. So after trying to get the blacks and whites as close as I could get them the way I saw them in my head I cropped it down to take the extra junk out of frame. And then I re-cropped to get some interested in the foreground (composition, composition... I know I took a class or two on that at some point).



 I hope I didn't see something in these images that wasn't there...

4 comments:

Hal Weaver said...

Very cool to listen in on your process and the photos are great. I am glad you are posting so much of your work. It needs to be seen brother!

OK HW

Casey said...

Thanks Hal but aren't you supposed to have a drink in your hand and be on your way to the beach?

Casey said...

I forgot you are leaving this afternoon/evening.

rememberforgiveevolve said...

You're so creative. I'm so lucky to be around someone like you all of the time. You inspire me.