Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Walking the Bottom


I went down to Shockoe Bottom today to take pictures. It has a mixture of old Richmond architecture restaurants and different people walking around.






I originally thought I would get some grungy shots of graffiti and maybe some other architectural things. When I walked under the over pass I thought it would make a nice shoot with all the lines crisscrossing across the frame. I first composed the shot with the over pass going right through the center of the frame but then I thought that would be too symmetrical so I repositioned myself to get it to run diagonal across the frame. After processing the diagonal shot I looked back at the first one and decided it was a better composition. I had originally thought the viewers eye would follow the over pass right out of the photo but I think there is enough other elements to keep the eye in frame.

The roof is of the 17th street train station that is where the train tracks are going in the previous two photos. It is a beautiful building but I chooses to shoot the back of it; one because I think it is shot less and because I liked the straight hard angles of the roof against the sky.

This guy is waiting on something. Maybe a bus or maybe on the motivation to get up and walk.

No comments: