Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dragan Effect

I saw a gritty portrait online the other day and one of the comments was "very nice Dragan Effect" so of course I googled it. Andrzej Dragan (is a Flash site, sorry if your on your mobile) is a photographer known for his gritty unforgiving portraits. Besides finding out who he was I also found a tutorial. Although I had done similar effects on some photos in the past  I usually didn't use it on people because it isn't always s the most flattering. I thought it would be a good effect for these photos I took of Doug Wilder back in 2007.
The tutorial I found was on Wegraphics.com. Instead of using the dodge an burn tool I like to fill a layer with 50% gray and then paint with black or white at a very low opacity to build up the effect. It is easier to fix or undo mistakes.

 Here is the same image in Black and White.


No comments: